Cafe Mordida on Thursday

Guanabana Fruit !!!!

Information on what's in season, new finds, recipes, etc.

Guanabana Fruit !!!!

Postby PV PETE » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:37 am

Freeeye or anyone else , I am looking for information on Guanabana Fruit or Soup Sop as its known in English....I have googled it and read what is available on Google....a friend of mine has a few trees which bear this fruit...anybody had any experence eating or making a drink with it ????
PV PETE

Re: Guanabana Fruit !!!!

Postby freeeye » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:40 am

We bought some from a neighbor last season. I love it. We just ate it raw.

"À chacun son goût"
freeeye
Site Admin

Postby travelerjjm » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:20 am

I have never heard it called SourSop (not Soup Sop) -- just guanabana; I had to google to find it. You can get the drink in the store. It is made from the pulp with the seeds removed first. Add a little rum...
travelerjjm

Postby Xine » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:14 pm

Here's the link to Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soursop

It's one of my favorite fruits. Sometimes you can get popsicles made with it; try that place on the corner of Madero and Constitucion across from the taxi stand.

Like many fruits, it should be slightly soft to the touch (it will give if you press on it like an avocado or peach) but not too soft or mushy because that means it's overly ripe. It's a juicy mess to eat which adds to the pleasure!
Xine

Postby Xine » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:20 pm

My friends and I like to sing this song and substitute the words with Guana-bana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ACvC6lBkI
Xine

Postby aprilz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:09 pm

This is an awesome fruit, hard to find out of season but when it's "in season" they are plentiful. They don't ripen more after being picked so make sure you buy one already ripe. Even if it's starting to show brown spots it's still ok. Eat the white flesh as you would any other soft fruit, it's delicious. Or mash the fruit and add to ajug of water in the fridge overnight and you have a nice juice. Will be milky white but very tasty. Guanabana has been shown to have many cancer fighting properties, so even drinking the juice (I get it at WalMart) is really healthy for you.
aprilz

Postby rabihorcada » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Wonderful fruit, unlike any other. Sometimes stores here sell yogurt with guanabana in it, and that is muy rico.
rabihorcada
Site Admin

Next

Return to Food | Eat | Drink